Mommy Makeover is a term that has made the popular press. It is clearly not one specific operation, but rather an individualized set of procedures designed to address one or more troubled areas that have been caused or worsened by pregnancy. “Moms” can attest to the fact that these changes can be quite severe and certainly disappointing. Tummy Tucks, Breast Surgery and Liposuction are the most common procedures that are a part of this.
What is involved in a “Mommy Makeover”?
- As stated above, this set of procedures is designed to address each individual's problems.
Who is a candidate for a “Mommy Makeover”
- Patients in good health and that do not have any major medical problems.
- Someone at some reasonable weight and has no significant plans to lose weight
- Someone who is at least 6 months post pregnancy to allow the breasts time to completely “recover” from the hormonal affects of pregnancy.
- Someone who has a social environment that allows the patient to truly focus on herself and her recover.
What type of anesthesia is involved?
- This procedure/procedures is most often performed in an outpatient surgery center under general anesthesia.
How long is the recuperation period?
- Obviously, this can be quite variable based on the combination of procedures. Since the abdominal portion of the procedures is the most painful area…recovery will parallel that procedure.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.
Meet Dr. Fulks